Thursday, May 14, 2015

Lost In The Woods- 50k

"There is little that can withstand a man who can conquer himself," Louis XIV

   Fat Ass- The name given to a series of low key runs that are frequented by experienced runners & walkers and characterised by the phrase "No Fees, No Awards, No Aid, No Wimps". Yes, the runs are totally free to enter and are put on by passionate runners who are also running. Think of it as a bit like meeting some people for a bushwalk - except it's a run. Because the runs are not races in any sense, there is no guarantee of anything other than a course to run.

   I had heard about the Lost In The Woods 50k a few months prior to the start date, but after coming off my first 50-mile run a month prior I did not want to commit to anything too big; especially 31-miles. About a week before the start I was feeling good and well recovered, even after setting a PR in the Lincoln Half Marathon, and with no running plans coming up, I decided to sign up for the low key, fat ass 50k run in St. Peter, Mn.

   In it's inaugural year, Lost In The Woods 50k had a unique twist behind just running 31 miles. The objective was simple- follow the directions to 15 books spread throughout thick wooded and hilly rough terrain with an aid station half way. This was definitely my kind of run.

   I headed to my Grandpas the night before since it would be a lot better if I did not have to get up at 3am and drive to the race and back right after, also I was due for some time with him. Upon arriving at my Grandpas somewhat late Friday night we chatted for a few hours before heading to bed.

   4:30am came way too quickly and before I knew it I was out the door. As I walked to may car the brisk morning air tingled my naked arms and face, I definitely did not need any coffee. Following my GPS on my phone to the start of the race, which was located at Scott, the race directors house, I turned a slight corner as my car struggled to get up the steep hill leading to his house. For some odd reason I knew this was going to be part of the run.

   I pulled into the driveway as most of the total 17 runners were making their way to sign in, receive their page number to take from the books along the course and listen for course directions from Scott. I chatted with a few friends and made some last minute decisions as to what I wanted to carry with me and headed over to the starting area for some last minute instructions.

Scott giving course directions
   Scott looked down and basically pointed at a crack, or imaginary crack in the concrete and instructed us it was the starting line and we could go as soon as he counted down and the bell rang.

   3...2...1... DING DING DING! And we were off. I had already decided to pull some shenanigans at the end of the drive way and turn the opposite direction everyone else was going for a few steps and managed to get a few laughs as we made our way down the steep hill, across the parks parking lot and into the woods.

Heading off down the driveway
   Not even a mile into the run and my knee was starting to bother me. I decided it was a good idea to stick in the middle of the pack rather than going out too hard at the beginning like I sometimes like to do. Before I knew it we were at the first book tearing out our page numbers and quickly continuing on

   As I ran along I met up with a lady named Shelly, who was also at the Zumbro 50-mile run a month ago and finished about 5 minutes ahead of me. I told her I remember seeing an "older" lady pass me on my second loop at Zumbro and she was HAULING ASS, or I was just running that slow.

Chatting with Shelly
   We talked as we made our way through the woods and kept the group ahead of us within sight for a little bit, but soon found ourselves looking at the map for the next book. Two other guys, Matt and Bob, stayed with us as we followed the pink ribbons throughout the course in some off trail, thick wooded hillside we were soon out of the woods, up a hill and at the second book.

   I chatted with Bob as we made our way down the hill. Bob told me this was his first Ultra, but he has ran a bunch of marathons before. We made our way back down the hill and into the thick woods once again following the pink ribbons. Bob was leading the way and started going off course as I caught some pink ribbons to my left out of the corner of my eye as Matt and Shelly followed.

The pink ribbons that marked some of the course
   "Good catch!" Bob yelled as he quickly caught up to the group. We made our way along a narrow hill as I blasted down it jumping over logs and into soft patches of leaves and dirt. I was totally in the zone as I came to the bottom and could see some people waiting to take some pictures at the bottom as people came out of the woods.

   I waited at the bottom for the rest of the group to catch up since I had no idea where to go next. Bob got out his map and led the way. As we ran along the small stream that ran next to the trail we came to a crossing and did not know which way to go. Bob, once again, got out his map and soon noticed we may have missed the last book. At first we thought we could just skip it, since running back about a quarter of a mile and possibly up the hill again would not be fun. Right as we started putting our maps away, Scott came around the corner and asked us what we were doing standing around.

Just following the "trail"
Still smiling
   We told him we might have missed the last book and he assured us it was not too far back. Good thing it was early in the day and our legs were fresh, otherwise I would have dreaded going back even more. A little ways back in the woods the way we had just came from I spotted the book on a tree stump. I could not believe all four of us had all missed it. We quickly tore out our designated page numbers and pressed on.

Tearing out our pages
And off we go
   Once again we found ourselves in an open area at another trail crossing. Bob got his trusty map out and proceeded to ramble off some directions. Shelly mentioned something about going across the top would make more sense, but Bob insisted going down the hill was the correct route. As we made our way down the hill I could feel my knee slightly twinge a little more with each step I took.

   Making our way to the bottom I noticed someone running towards us along the trail. Scott popped out around the corner waving his hands telling us we were going the wrong way and we had to go back up the hill and across the top.

    "That's it! I'm done leading," Bob said with a laugh.

   "I told you we should have went around the top," Shelly sharply yelled out. "I knew we were going to have to go back up that big hill, but why listen to me".

   Luckily the day was still young and we took the once again off course challenge in stride, but I couldn't have agreed with Shelly more. Bob's trusty map following skills that had led us to the first few books were starting to fade.

After finding half of the books we had to punch the pages with the yellow punch
   The next few books we found had a better outcome and we were starting to find our way along the course a lot better. Around the tenth book I started to struggle as my knee was becoming more and more of a pain on the downhills. After weaving through the trails I heard a WHHOOOOPPP ahead of us. I've heard this before and I knew it was Kevin.


   I've ran a couple times with Kevin and he seems to always be a super up beat guy looking to always cheer people up, which was exactly what I needed. Bob, Shelly, Matt and I made our way out of the woods and past Kevin as he cheered us on and took a few pictures.

   The rush only lasted a few minutes, but it was a perfect pick up as we made our way through the rocky waterless stream. This section seemed to take forever as we looked for the ribbon marking to go up the hill to the right and once again across a field and back into the woods.

   We cruised the next section, picking up the next couple books before the aid station where we refilled our water bottles and ate some food. The volunteers took down our names and directed us to the small loop we had to do in the woods behind the aid station before continuing on the second half of the first loop.

Awesome trails
   The second half of the course was a little more runnable, but still had a lot of unrelenting hill climbs. We soon found our way towards, what I thought was the last hill of the course before Scotts house. On the long gravel road leading up the hill I thought we were going to take the next left, but Bob assured us we still had a little ways to go to get the last book.

   Standing at the bottom of the hill was Larry, also known as The Oricle. For those of you who do not know Larry, he is the original founder of the Zumbro 100 and previous race director of the Superior 100 in northern Minnesota.

   "Go around the tree and head up the hill," he instructed us. Around the big tree shielding one of the biggest climbs on the course was the hill. Bob, Matt, Shelly and I slowly climbed our way up dodging short, sharp tree stumps as the netting stuck to our shoe grips and the sun beat down on our backs. I could feel my legs burn with each step as we marched to the top.

Yea... We had to go to the top... Twice
   Bob reached the top and yelled out,"We made it!" Even though I still had a few steps to reach the pole where the book was I had to stop for a second to rest my throbbing calves. The descent was no easy task either. The small tree stumps were waiting for a miss step to catch a falling traveler. If anyone were to fall it would not be a pleasant trip to the bottom.

From the top
   All four of us made it down safely and made our way slowly up the last hill to Scotts house where we rested for a few minutes and dropped of some extra clothes. I was filling my water bottles and noticed Matt was sitting in a chair looking a little exhausted.

   He made his way over to his car as Shelly, Bob and I started on our way. Matt was sitting in his car with the door open and advised us to go on without him as he needed a few more minutes to rest.

   We continued on, but had to do the course in reverse this time, which meant climbing up that damn hill again. I figured it was like ripping off a band-aid and it was better to just get it done and over with, so up we went.

   I really started to feel the miles catching up with me as we neared 20-miles. My knee was really starting to bother me on the downhills and running on the flat sections did not prove to be any better. Shelly and I chatted frequently checking in with each other as we both were starting to fester up some odd aches. 

   Like a gazelle, Bob springily ran ahead of us as we quickly caught up to him on the steep climbs. The next half of the course flew by and we were finding our way well without the map and did not get lost once, which made up for a lot of time on the previous lap.

Bob leading the way
   With about 5-miles to go I felt a sharp pain in the back of my knee. I stopped to quickly stretch it out as Shelly came up behind me and asked if I was okay. I told her I was fine and proceeded down the hill the best I could by putting most of my weight on my other leg and sort of skipping down the hill.

   With just two books left I knew we were almost done. At the top of the hill before the last book we ate some jerky and continued onto what seemed like the longest section on the course to the last book. Bob insisted we run a little bit as Shelly stuck with me on the descent down the hill.

   I started to slowly run making sure to not push it too much as my knee was still bothering me. Surprisingly it felt pretty good as we continued on into the woods to the last book. Continuing through the loop around section to the next book we came upon some park visitors who were blasting golf balls across the river as once guy chugged a full liter of Mountain Dew and waved as we ran past.

   Soon we were at the last book and I just needed a minute to sit down before the last little bit before the finish. I sat down on the log and gathered myself as Bob jaunted ahead of us. As much as I did not want to run I knew it would be best. We quickly came to a sandy section that led through a narrow trail.

   Shelly and I started to power walk as Bob felt better running and told us he would wait for us at the last hill so we could finish together. Soon we caught up to Bob who was a little ways up the hill and running backwards up the hill as he turned around to welcome Shelly and I on the last "little" hill.

   Nearing the top, all of my aches and pains suddenly disappeared. A loud WHOOOP came from Kevin at the finish as the other runners and spectators cheered us into the finish to ring the bell.

   I quickly changed and shortly after our former group member Matt came in as we cheered him in and congratulated him on his finish.

   This run was an incredible experience for me. I met so many amazing runners and new friends who continue to inspire me to push my limits. I will definitely sign up to do this course in the future which ranks in the top races I have done.

Chatting with Ed after the run
   Pushing though to the end while being somewhat uncomfortable most of the time and listening to how my body reacted taught me a lot about myself. By conquering my unrelenting doubts about finishing I had a great group to keep me going and in the end the muscles have recovered. The aches have healed. And most importantly I realized there is little that can withstand my determination to succeed once I conquer myself.

The bell

No comments:

Post a Comment